mental models that help me find a bit more peace - by limiting my assumptions, judgment, and interest:
1) groups of people function far lower than the sum, even lower than the average of their intelligence because of conflicting motives, incentives, distrust, and "baggage". Thats ok, that reality. Which means just coordinating them is a lot OF WORK (relative to what we can afford to give). And when that work conflicts with other competing priorities than we regress to lower than the least of the intelligences.
2) never assume people are in their best * 100% of the time, even myself. See people in a spectrum of performance and allow to assume only am aware of what they are capable of depending on my relationship to them (if I don't know them or not so close to them I cannot see, and thus cannot assume too much). Count my mistakes vs getting things right. the context that to my Highs and lows.
3) judging, acknowledging, and forgiving. If I am responsible and accountable then I have the responsibility to judge, otherwise, I cannot judge (because I don't have the best data to judge). Its a reciprocating situation - if the other person doesn't have my responsibility it would be difficult for them to understand and judge me (still they will judge). Acknowledging - accepting flaws and errors is evidenced by their influence in future and new actions. I have to show I have acknowledged flaws, mistakes, errors, etc...
In the risk, I can do the least (outside my control) all I can be is understanding of others in the same situation. Forgiving helps close issues and moving forward.
4) Like to Like. A public display/communication requires a public apology or correction. A private comm is a private correction. More responsibility - More Resources, Less Responsibility fewer resources,
5) I am a system. While I cannot control all my Inputs/influences/consumption, I can control more of my outputs/actions. Modifying my system is both influencing inputs, processing, and outputs. the Gravity-Well and Delta-V budget model best visualizes sub-systems I wish to incorporate/modify/remove/replace.
6) Occams Razor. Systems with Fewer Assumptions/Factors. Both in thesis and in system Design. Also Occams razor's definition of BEST isn't the most accurate - some thesis is better with more data points - BUT when used in the context of EFFORT and TIME (aka COSTS) it may not be worthwhile Incorporating those factors into the thesis/system/process etc...